Health

Consistent efforts have resulted in a downward trend in COVID-19 infections – from the Delhi government to the Supreme Court.

The Delhi government told the Supreme Court on Tuesday that its “continued efforts” had seen a “downward trend” in the spread of COVID-19 infections since last week. He said the capital is facing its third increase in cases, which began in November.

The 170-page affidavit refutes an equally voluminous affidavit filed last week by the Union Ministry of the Interior (MHA) that bluntly blamed the Arvind Kejriwal government for the “massive increase” in infections and the resulting pressure. the medical infrastructure. The center has named Delhi as one of 10 states accounting for almost 77% of the active workload. This led the court to point out that states should rise above politics during the pandemic.

In its affidavit, the Delhi government softens the Home Office’s scathing accusations in statistics to show that he did not sleep at work.

Contrary to the MHA affidavit, the Delhi government has praised the cooperation it has received from Union ministries in recent months. In fact, the affidavit is littered with references to the “council” and “take over” that the Delhi government received from the center.

One of the references includes how the Delhi government “successfully responded to the pandemic” with “the support and guidance” of the MHA, the Ministry of Health, expert agencies such as NITI Aayog and ICMR. . He said 13 meetings were chaired by the lieutenant governor and various experts, including V.K. NITI Aayog member Paul met to discuss strategy. The preparation was carried out under his supervision.

The Kejriwal government argued that the number of positive cases / positivity rates, hospital admissions and discharges, bed occupancy and active cases in Delhi has decreased. The affidavit rejects the center’s claim that the Delhi government was ill-prepared for the surge in cases due to the festival season, and states that there are 5,010 COVID intensive care beds available in Delhi with a planned increase of 1,522 additional beds. .

The affidavit shows that the number of intensive care beds in state hospitals increased from 109 on June 1 to 1,749 on November 29. Considering that the number of beds in central government hospitals in Delhi increased to only 850 from Nov 29 to June 29. Even intensive care beds in private hospitals fell from 111 on June 1 to 2,411 on November 29.

The Delhi government affidavit said it had ordered the creation of 663 intensive care beds at the height of the Christmas season. On November 19, orders were placed again to convert 80% of intensive care beds into private hospitals for COVID-19 patients. This would have added 249 beds. Again, a third order was issued to reserve 60% of beds in private hospitals for infected patients, bringing the number to 2,644.

The affidavit referred to how Mr. Kejriwal wrote to the Union Interior Minister to increase the number of intensive care beds in central government hospitals such as AIIMS, Safdarjung, LHMC, RML by 1,214. etc. He said the Delhi government had approved the acquisition of 1,200 two-stage positive pressure devices (BiPAP), a type of ventilator, from the CSIR despite this request. He said 300 machines would arrive next week, with an equal number each week.

He said the collection of RTPCR samples has increased dramatically and has in fact saturated the ICMR’s declared capacity of 38,000 in Delhi. The affidavit showed that 80,30,979 people had been interviewed as of November 29. The investigation would take another month.

The statistics covered Delhi’s ability to incinerate its COVID-19 victims. “To date, Delhi has an average of 110 COVID-19 related deaths per day, while it has the capacity to incinerate 415 dead bodies per day and increase it further if necessary. feel, “he said. The Supreme Court.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button